Couperose & Rosacea
Redness in the face, neck or decolleté can be considerably reduced with our IPL and laser method. Our treatments do not only fade the redness of the couperose but also reduce the inflammation in the case of rosacea.
Couperose is the appearance of enlarged blood vessels, visible as a red glow mostly in the face, decolleté, or the neck. This redness can be experienced as annoying. Couperose often becomes visible with intense heat, sport or intense labour, but also during changes in hormone levels. Moving from cold to warm areas, and consuming hot food and beverages can also put pressure on the veins, thus causing the skin to glow red. Couperose is often hereditary. It may however also be caused by medicine, smoking, or sun damage.
Rosacea is a common chronic form of inflammation of the skin. Often the skin shows bumps and/or pimples, which in turn can cause redness (couperose). Rosacea mostly occurs after our 30s.
Both couperose and rosacea can be significantly reduced with our IPL and laser method. As a result we see the redness fade and a reduction of the inflammation caused by rosacea. As such the skin appears much calmer.
The inflammation of rosacea decreases and the red veins shrink, causing the redness of the skin to locally fade.
The first step is always an intake with our laser specialist. During this consultation our exact method, your wishes and the realistic possibilities are discussed.
During the consultation the specialist inspects your skin and the couperose or rosacea. Because every type of skin, couperose, and rosacea is different we need to customize each treatment for optimal results. The exact price and the number of treatments required therefore also differ for each person.
For an intake we charge € 35,-. These costs will be deducted from the eventual treatment costs. In most cases we can plan an intake with a treatment directly after, if so desired and requested in advance.
In case you decide to undergo a treatment the following matters apply:
- It is important that the skin is as light as possible. As such you need to avoid sun tanning and tanning beds during the 2 to 3 weeks before the treatment. The use of tanning cream (bronzer) also needs to be avoided during this period.
- If you are using Roaccutane® against rosacea our treatment cannot take place until you have finished the Roaccutane® treatment.
The redness and irritation can be considerably reduced with the Ellipse IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) combined with the vascular laser. The IPL and vascular laser reduce inflammations and redness in the skin. The energy causes veins to shrink. Our laser specialists use the latest IPL for this treatment, the Ellipse Nordlys.
In general there are multiple treatments necessary for optimal results.
Number of treatments
Generally we see a considerable improvement after 2 treatments. Possibly 3 to 5 treatments may be necessary depending on the severity of the couperose or rosacea. Every treatment needs to be spaced with at least 3 weeks in between them.
Over 20 years of experience
It is important that couperose and rosacea are treated by a skilled specialist in order to safely achieve optimal results. We have over 20 years of experience with this treatment and thus have treated a wide variety of skin, couperose, and rosacea. As such our laser specialists are more than qualified to customize and perform the most effective treatment.
After a treatment against couperose and rosacea the following practical matters apply:
- The skin may look sunburned. This usually disappears within a few hours.
- The next day some edema may appear in the treated areas. This swelling mostly disappears after 3 to 5 days.
- Do not use any peelings or scrub creams during the first week.
- No sun or tanning beds for the first 2 to 4 weeks. Please use a proper sunscreen (factor 30 or higher). Tanning cream may be used after 1 week.
- The veins in the face may not be put under pressure too much after the treatment. Please avoid sports and intense exertions during the first 4 days. Also avoid the sauna in this period.
- There may appear some small brown streaks where the skin was treated. This is the clotted blood in the treated veins. The skin renews itself after 6 to 10 days, causing these streaks to disappear.
Specific matters applying to rosacea:
- Rosacea is a type of inflammation in the skin and may flare after the treatment.
- Generally the skin is calmed by the treatment, causing the redness to fade. It is however unpredictable when the inflammation of rosacea becomes active again. It is known that rosacea can become active when the immune system is not functioning properly.
The treated veins shrink or disappear completely. In case of rosacea the inflammation is also reduced. Overall, this means that the redness fades and the appearance becomes smoother. The result becomes visible after 2 to 3 weeks. However, on average there are multiple treatments necessary to achieve optimal results.
Apart from a reduction in redness the quality of the skin is improved with each treatment.
Improved skin quality
The positive side effect of the treatment of couperose and rosacea is that the skin quality improves. The production of collagen is stimulated, the pores refine, the skin strengthens and becomes more elastic, wrinkles are reduced and the local blood stream is stimulated. As a result the skin appears fresher and smoother.
The predisposition for couperose and rosacea will always remain. This means that in time there may appear new veins and redness. It is also known that sunlight and smoking may worsen couperose. As such the use of a good sunscreen (factor 30 or higher) is advised at all times.
Starting at € 75,-
The exact price and treatment are customized during the intake with the laser specialist. For a consultation we charge € 35,-. In case the treatment takes place within 6 months after the consultation these € 35,- will be deducted from the treatment costs. In most cases we can plan an intake with a treatment directly after, if so desired and requested in advance.